PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 08:35
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like this from the media. How the UK can give aid to a country who has it's own Space Program.

"International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell said in December that Britain’s controversial foreign aid programme was partly designed to win the bid.

Britain is sending £280million to India for each of the next four years, even though the country has more billionaires than Britain and has its own space programme.

The aid package is 15 times larger than the £18million France sent to India in 2009.

Asked to justify Indian aid last year, Mr Mitchell said: ‘It’s a very important relationship. The focus is also about seeking to sell Typhoon.’

The decision is also a setback for David Cameron, who visited India in 2010 with six Cabinet ministers and around 60 businessmen to try to establish Britain as the ‘partner of choice’ for India.
Yesterday, Indian officials said Dassault emerged in front because the Rafale jet was ‘much cheaper unit-wise’ than the Eurofighter.

It was reported today that Dassault slashed its price demands to ensure the deal was done."

I wonder how much Sarkozy had to do with that as I am sure he really wanted this deal.