PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Buck Alternatives
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 21:45
Coochycool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As originator of this thread and a newbie to this site, may I convey many thanks to all for the very informative and interesting posts to a query I thought might have been considered a tad too fanciful. But then the truth certainly smacked of being stranger than fiction in 1982.

Archimedes' eloquent synopsis sets the scene nicely, and it seems apparent from further contributions that Vulcan was the only serious contender, though Nimrod might have been able to do the job had political premise deemed it worth a go. Must admit though, a Canberra ex Chile would have been a really interesting strategy, there were of course similar dodgy dealings afoot at that time. Then the AOC might have trully been able to effect his 25 to 50 missions. I guess it begs the question though as to just how relatively difficult it was to get the Vulcan back into service from the knackers yard, knowing it to be a preferable optimised system. And I'd like to add to the "timing" arguments with regard to training and equipment considerations.

Nice gen, but then I think the real decider was simply that Galtieri's hide was on the line and his act of national unity was in desperation, surplus to strategic considerations. Luckily for us it would seem. With so many possible tangents to explore in this vain, I'd encourage others to continue as they see fit, its all good. Thanks though for the "Buccs for Black Buck" referal, of which I was not aware, that answers my main query.

Just thought I'd leave with the thought however of my reaction to the crisis as a 12 year old boy. The tabloids sold out before I could get a copy and I remember pestering my old man to go in search of one. "But why do you want that for son?". " Because they have a centrefold featuring all the task force assets". "What on earth do you want that for". "So I can cross them off when they get sunk". "Dont be so silly........"