PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 21:05
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That seems a bit backwards doesn't it?
Maybe, but it's the way of the world: start small & step up by increments. The statement, "jets are easier to fly than props," may be true (sort of), but that kind of attitude is fraught with danger. Having multiple levels of automation at your fingertips in a jet is very helpful, as opposed to man-handling a steam-driven aeroplane with props (not that I'm specifically accusing the ATR of being steam-driven). Flying from ILS to ILS under the umbrella of constant ATC monitoring is certainly easier than ducking & weaving around traffic & weather OCTA & at CTAFs. But what about the fact that things are happening a whole lot faster in just about every phase of flight? What about energy management? What about the fact that it's a lot easier to slow a prop from 250kts inside the terminal area than a heavy jet? What about when you've got your profile looking just right, & all of a sudden ATC reduce your track miles to tighten up the sequence, & suddenly you're scrambling to get it under control?

Jets may be easier to fly than props, so long as it's under optimum conditions. But the increased levels of automation can be just as much a trap as a help (if you don't have a solid understanding of the numerous modes of operation & how they interact), & with regard to the other stuff, as soon as ATC start dicking you around & messing up your game plan, props start looking a whole lot easier to manage.

Whilst I have no problem with cadets, I would not want to see one thrown into any seat of a jet (including the jumpseat) without first having gained some consolidation experience in props. That's just the way it is.