PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS Dauntless...
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 20:41
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only that - MPA could take an absolute pounding before there isn't enough concrete left for a Typhoon to get airborne off a minimum operating strip. With the number of aircraft available to the Argies, airfield denial would need a comprehensive GPS-guided bomb plot to 'plink' all the critical intersections and taxyways. A 'lucky' bomb from a stick straddling the runway just won't cut it - success with dumb bombs would required dozens and dozens of missions to get over the target, highly unlikely I would suggest...

It's almost like they designed it that way

Probably did design it that way...........Which makes it such a shame that any attacker from any country (unless they were 'light blue' minded attackers) would not waste their time bothering to attack the concrete runway/taxiways.

It does get a bit silly listening to folks wondering how any baddies would prevent aircraft from operating by using other aircraft, when for many years there have been VERY cheap and VERY quick and easy ways to render all Falklands airfields useless for defence in about 10-20 minutes (by green minded attackers). Plus, by simply destrying aircraft on the ground, or as they leave the threshold it then leaves the strip usable for the new occupiers.

I have heard many stories from light blue or green airfield defenders how naughty men in cammed up faces can get in and around airfields pretty easily........I wonder if the Argentinians have thought about using men like this....Of course they have......And with modern kit they don't even have to get close to guarantee destroying the aircraft.