PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots Ponder BMI Proposal
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 19:37
Dingbaticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tall Boy, I am rubbish at maths (a jolly good reason to celebrate that Dingbaticus never yearned to be an airline Pilot) but I made it 62% voted ‘YES’ too.

As I said back on page 10 of this thread, I was not feeling the love for the ‘YES’ vote but I am delighted, ahead of official confirmation, to be one of the first to say ‘congratulations and welcome to the family’ to our new colleagues from BMI.

Not only did I not feel the love for the ‘YES’ vote, I did not feel the love for Dingbaticus on this thread. I resisted the bait, as the ‘growly bears’ grumbling for a rumbling on pprune bear no resemblance to the professionalism of my Flight Crew colleagues in the work place.

I don’t know if it is due to the reality that, like most strikers, I am actually a passionate professional rather than the militant monster portrayed during our dispute or that, whilst being rubbish at maths, the one figure I never struggled with is my own but the animosity I appear to attract on pprune has thankfully never translated into my real world.

Stormin Normin, Mr Walsh never left nor did his long term plans. Capitalism is like a giant ponzi scheme and as the emerging middle classes of developing countries drive up their living standards and wage demands, so the pool of cheap labour that supplied the demands of Europe and the USA diminishes.

We need to recognise that, whether Airline Pilot or Cabin Crew, we are all viewed as unit costs and we are all under pressure to deliver more for less. Rather than being distracted by pointless battles between our communities, we need to evolve and find the balance between supporting the business and protecting our futures.

It might shock your middle class sensibilities to think of BALPA as a Union but now is not a time for a fit of the vapours. BALPA represent Pilots across the UK and you are as susceptible as the rest of the UK to the spin encouraging us to cheer each other in a race to the bottom. Before you protest too loudly, did you ever think a banker would hand back their bonus?

Those amongst the Flight Crew community who delight in casting scorn on any suggestion that Cabin Crew have anything in common with Pilots forget our motto ‘To Fly, To Serve’. At the heart of our business is the customer and post Cabin Crew dispute, the Leadership Team have recognised the need for us to collectively focus our energies on the most precious cargo we carry, our passengers.

Rather than focus on the negatives of the Cabin Crew dispute, I prefer to move forward and use it as a learning experience. It is not only our customers who are going on a journey and I am sure our BMI colleagues will be as delighted as I am that our Pilots extended them a boarding card to their future, as part of our airline family.

The postings made by Dingbaticus are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions.