PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF future fast jets
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 15:33
Capt P U G Wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bismark

“ It wasn't the last savings measure that killed off a viable JFH…it was the vindictive one before it which was aimed solely at removing the RN from the force by making the numbers unviable....the ploy didn't work.”

Using the RAF Squadron model for JFH wasn’t designed to kill of the FAA, if anything it was a challenge to grow to 50% of the Force – a challenge they accepted but failed to meet.

“… the FAA … delivers in spades and far more efficiently than the RAF - fact. Every study in the recent past (5 - 10 years) has demonstrated that the RN runs "air" more efficiently and to higher safety standards than the RAF. The most recent study by the MAA has shown that the FAA understand and treat safety and risk better than either the RAF or AAC.”

Care to back that one up! My answer to your first point suggests your efficient force might be cheap but not more effective. You are in danger of using the Treasury definition of efficient! You will be calling savings efficiencies next.

From my experience the FAA and the RAF have an equally enviable record in safety issues – so I would not seek to point score there (although the last few years of JFH may not back up your case). You may be referring to recent MAA audit; the FAA were done last so they had all the other audits to learn from and a lot more time to prepare for the Admirals audit! I would be surprised if they hadn’t been best in show – but since the reports are personal neither you or I have seen them!

Not a Boffin:

so what happens when we take our turn in the NAG deployment cycle and another UK priority turns up (Falklands, Libya etc). If we commit our readiness cycle to someone else's needs we will not have the flexibility of use we desire. So, not a light blue issue, but one for the politicians. Not sure if you have read the US newest strategy but they are heading further East and I am not sure the MoD's budget can stretch to filling US holes as they appear. Are you recommending the UK can now afford a Pacific policy? I am afraid you are thinking old alliances and they may not be as relevant when QE2 turns up. Now work share with the French might be another matter......try that with JSF!