PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop command or jet F/O
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 13:36
Fair_Weather_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many jobs overseas require those "on type" or "jet" hours.
Some do, like Emirates and Ethiad but they want thousands of jet hours which will still be some years away for you. Others want command hours on certain types of jet. The E190 series doesn't seem to be the one that they want the time on either and you're not going to get LHS time in that for a while either. Other airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair make money from desperate wanabees and won't look at you and the likes of Monarch, TCX, Virgin etc are not expanding or are on their knees with the state of the economy. You'll be fighting with the pay to fly fools to get these jobs as they also have jet time.

You said on your initial post that you want to fly cargo. TP hours are good for DHL, EAT, TNT, GSS and if you have enough of them, Cagoloux. Some of these airlines promote fast, so they may see an upgrade as a bigger deal than some jet hours. Other airlines that look at guys with TP time are BA, Fly Dubai and Qatar airways. Guys have also gone into decent small / mid size biz jet jobs from the Q400 in the LHS.

In your shoes, I'd take the TP command, probably better pay and will freshen things up. If the E190 will lead to a quick LHS, take that, but if it doesn't you'll be stuck with a lot of FO time and employers wondering if you would want or be able to handle and upgrade.

PS I'm LHS in a TP and would love to move on. I have found many employers start to take you seriously as a Captain and it has opened up some interesting possibilities.