PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 12:09
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, there is NO need to have a "green reasonably powerful laser" as a pointer. They should be limited to red only so less powerful.

Anything over 5mW should require a licence, there is no justification for the general public to have access to anything over that.
With all due respect, who are you to state that there is "NO need" for anything? In any case, those who wish to do beastly things with equipment -- guns, knives, TASERs, CS gas, etc.) will obtain them and use them. By banning or limiting the sale of anything one tends to ban the legitimate user and intrigue the criminal who maybe had never before considered the 'fun' he could have with one.

When you talk about 'the general public' remember that we are all 'the general public' outside our own occupations or hobbies (e.g. Radio Amateurs, PPLs don't consider themselves as 'the general public'). The driver of the refuse truck, the train driver, even the bus conductor consider themselves not to be 'the general public'.

In my experience, anyone who says that 'the general public' should not have or do this or that means that for some reason they don't consider themselves as 'the general public'. So may I take it that you'd not count yourself as 'the general public in this context?

Dr Harold Shipman wasn't a member of the 'general public' and look what he did with the morphine that he obtained legally. When caring for my terminally ill father, I had enough morphine to kill half a dozen people yet I was safer than that particular doctor because unknown to society the doctor was criminally insane and I wasn't.

As for the risk to aircraft, you only need one criminally insane individual to bring down an aircraft -- with the same impact as Flight 103. Banning the sale of these things isn't going to reduce the risk. You need to protect against the attack, not try to prevent anyone from attacking.

By the way, I could quickly and easily adapt the 'gubbins' of a domestic microwave oven to kill or main dozens of people from a distance of many metres, invisibly and almost silently. Let's ban microwaves? Or just ban the general public? Or ban those who understand the gubbins well enough to make an offensive weapon? Or bang me up in pokey because I could if I wanted to?