PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 11:38
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Spaz,
You might be reading FAR to much into wording as opposed to observations.

Are you saying it is only a redesign that is needed for the hook? If not then what are your thoughts?

I TOTALLY accept that one answer is a redesigned hook, would that would be the easiest, cheapest and quickest remedy?

BUT surely if that were the answer then would this issue have received so much attention? Time waits for no man and whilst this issue remains unsolved then questions are rightly going to be asked.

Could it be distance between undercarriage and hook?

My question was... Why was this fundamental requirement not part of the acceptance evaluation when both aircraft were competing for this contract? Other aspects were tested to evaluate abilities so why not at the very least do land based tests to see if the thing can catch the wire?

I am in the camp that wants the F-35 to be a success, I am also doubtful about the enthusiasm for purchasing the F-18 but would welcome anyone that can put forward a justifiable case for the RAF wanting that aircraft.

If we were in the position of owning multiple aircraft carriers then the Navy could be the owner of the jets, the maintainer and the trainer but that is never going to be an option.

PLEASE try to look on my statements as questions designed to stimulate debate and try not to pay too much attention to wording which might at times reflect the passion I feel for this and other issues.