PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 17:39
Danny42C

Are there any members of Arnold Scheme 42A in earshot ?

The Class of 42A presumably followed the last all-American class of 41L (?)
Now the U.S. Air Corps followed the well known practice of "Hazing".
This amounted to officially sanctioned bullying, whereby the "Upper" (Senior) class of a military (and other) colleges treated their "Lower" class as Flashman treated his "fags" - or as a baby treats a nappy.

I have found only two passing references to this in the Thread: No. 1181 (P.60) from the sadly missed Reg, and No. 1919 (P.96) from Sandisondaughter. Now this later one is dated a year or so back; we are all drinking in the Last Chance saloon now, and I am conscious of walking on eggshells while asking this question: Can Sandisonfather help me with this?

This is the tale I was told, at Carlstrom Field (Florida): Our first British class of 42A met this treatment from 41L - or whatever. There was no particular animus against the British, they would have treated their own chaps just the same. Needless to say, a freeborn Briton would not put up with this; they set upon their tormentors in a body, prevailed and flung them and all their possessions into the camp swimming pool.

Now the authorities couid hardly send the whole lot back to Canada - it would provoke a diplomatic incident - so the situation was accepted, "hazing" was suspended, and 42A followed 41L through all three Schools in peace (I don't know about harmony).

Can anyone please shed any more light on this (which presumably must have gone on at other USAAC bases ?) Thanks in anticipation.

Danny42C