PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a foot in the door through ASTAC - advice?
Old 30th Jan 2012, 16:13
1Lemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a foot in the door through ASTAC - advice?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here so let me start by introducing myself. I am 18, unemployed (Not my fault, the unemployment rate here is the highest in the country) and I am not planning on attending University because it almost voids itself now and people leaving Uni are in a similar state as me anyway; except with a ridiculous debt. I have been wanting to join Air Traffic for many years and have visited Airfields in the past.

Anyway my question is this; to get a foot in the door in the Air Traffic industry do you guys think it would be beneficial to do the ASTAC ATCA course?

The reason I ask is when I contact towers about any vacancies they shun me aside, understandably so as in this economic climate there are people being laid off all the time, and why pay for someone to go through training when they can get already qualified people to do the same job.

It's also £1,000 which may not seem like much, but to us unemployed folk that's a large chunk of money.

So do you reckon it would be worthwhile?

Thanks.
1Lemon