PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 15:21
kibz2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet ANOTHER low time pilot in africa

Hey guys, call me crazy but I really don't think this is the way to find yourself work in the motherland. I am also a newbie with the cpl/meir etc and when I first got all my paperwork, I thought the solution was to go around looking for people advertising for jobs and drop off the CVs and wait. Oh how mistaken I was...

What you'll find with African charter companies is that if they are actually advertising for a job, they already have people in mind and have no intention of hiring anybody new. The only reason they put the ad up is to fulfill legal requirements for job equality.

Eventually I wised up and began walking up and down the road of HKNW. And I learned more in 3 weeks of walking than I did in 2 months of precision paper dropping. If you want a job, you need facetime with other pilots, CFIs and chief pilots. That's it. you'll find most of the chief pilots in GA have been in it for a long time and went through the same stress you are going through. They are full of tips to try and make friends and find work.

So I hung around the airport for weeks until I made a few friends. Friends led to a couple of chance encounters with company chiefs at the locals and soon enough, I got THAT phone call because somebody had heard from a mutual friend that I was looking for work. I got my check flight without him even looking at my CV or logbook.

Moral of the story? If you are a low hour pilot looking for work in this corner of the earth, make your face and your story known. One day somebody will be willing to give you a shot. Looking for stuff online got me nowhere and I really wish somebody had told ME that when I started off.