PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Buck Alternatives
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 14:34
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pr00ne, agreed. It was still my stupid mistake, I didn't say you were stupid. I also meant bomber in the pure sense rather than missile carrier.

The B47 carried a missile and was also a free-fall aircraft. The B52 was also a bomber and missile carrier at the same time. In the case of the Blue Steel aircraft they were of course pure missile carriers unless extensively reconverted to FF.

I know some Vulcans were converted to carry BS and presumably Command had the foresight to store the original conventional bomb doors. Where the Victor bomb doors also left in storage or were the Mk 2s earmarked as tankers once the BS was taken out of service?

PS

As I recall the Mk 2s were not worked up in the conventional role until 1964. The Victor 1s had the Far East and The Vulcan 1s had the Near East (the Valiants before that). The Coningsby Mk 2s were the first to work up for the Far East in 1964. Prior to that both Victor 2 and Vulcan 2 were worked up in their primary role. It is possible therefore that the Victor 2 never had the 90-way kit installed.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 30th Jan 2012 at 15:41.