PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Buck Alternatives
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 13:00
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
Bone question but what provision would there be in a Herc to accurately (Stanley is uncomfortably close to the aerodrome for any impact errors) bomb visually or on H2S equivalent? Also, I imagine that a low ingress and climb to release height would have been a bit interesting.
Time and distance which was a backup technique on the Vulcan.

Regarding Nimrods, I expect JEZ' could have given a reasonable RADAR picture but with little provision for visual aiming; not forgetting no immediate equivalent to NBS.
I think you meant Searchwater. Good ranging if no automatic steering and again a time and distance solution.

I also remember that we we were still involved in a hide and seek game with Uncle Ivan at the time. That didn't seem to leave many gash MR/ASW assets to mod/retrain for mud moving, particularly as ASW FFs and SSNs were pulled from NATO task to go South.
As the Nimrods were modified for AAR, crews trained, cleared for bombing, and were deployed south you statement is clearly inaccurate - see above.