PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 30th Jan 2012, 12:32
Flipboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I donīt know about you guys, but I would rather loose my job than my life.

This article is form August 2011..

LIZABETH JACKSON: By almost every index that exists the Somali capital Mogadishu rates as the most dangerous place on earth.

It is also in the grip of famine and every day scores of people are dying not only from violence but also from hunger caused by a man-made famine.

For aid workers trying to get aid into the city, security is one of their main concerns.

Africa correspondent Ginny Stein flew into Mogadishu this week but before she left she filed this report.

GINNY STEIN: Over a fine Indian meal in one of Nairobi's back street restaurants the security arrangements were laid out.

"You will have four to six guys within a five to ten metre radius, armed with concealed pistols around you at all times, I was told. Fifty metres away, there will be 30 to 40 men all armed with AK-47s or light machine guns. And from there, out of sight, but in the district there will be at least 100 to 200 heavily armed men. This is a standard three tier security arrangement."

I must admit, I'd stopped taking notes at about tier one, stunned by what I was hearing. I had to ask for it to be repeated to ensure I could accurately relay the information back to the ABC.

This, I am told is what it takes to operate safely in Mogadishu, but even then there are no guarantees.

And for the first time in my life, I am told there will be a price on my head; as a hostage I am worth about $4 million. Of course I am no-one special, I am just another potential revenue raising hostage.

The person laying all of this out was Australian aid worker and Somali veteran Tony Burns.

He's the operations manager for SAACID, the largest local aid agency working in Mogadishu. For 14 years he's worked with them in delivering relief aid.

We first meet the day news breaks of Al Shabab's retreat from the city.

For four years the Al Qaeda inspired militants have waged war in the battle torn streets of Mogadishu. Now they've pulled back claiming it represents a change in battle tactics. From now the plan is to wage guerrilla war.

I ask Tony what impact that will have on security in the city.

TONY BURNS: It definitely will get worse because previously there was a defined front line and that's not going to change. So essentially the whole city will become a front line. You'll have covert teams of Al Shabab moving about the city, doing hit and run attacks on military and political targets, you'll have freelance militias popping up throughout the city and doing the same and criminal militias doing the same.

So for the next two or three months, in transition to whatever comes, it's going to be much more dangerous.

!!!!And it goes on like that !!!!

This is Ginny Stein, now in Mogadishu, reporting for Correspondents Report.