PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plane lands at Accra with runway blocked?
Old 30th Jan 2012, 12:24
T668BFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy! Landed in Chania, Greece with reduced runway as works going on at the landing end. Was mentioned in the NOTAMS, ATIS and by ATC!
No probs, whats the big deal? As long as there is enough tarmac to stop still!!
Was mentioned in the NOTAMS, ATIS and by ATC!
In the case we have no information to work with, in the case you site its already been made legal.

Look, this is an interesting and apparently very real scenario that deserves to be explored a bit better than 'bonkers, cowboys, divert!'. But that was the way this was heading yesterday, hence the stamping of my feet. Nowhere did I say my solution was the only solution, I was trying to get a meaningful discussion going, like we have now.
Ok Look lets be honest here, I was mearly playing devils advocate, we actualyl dont know anything about this, or if it even occured.
I have no problem landing on reduced distances and have done many times. I am mearly saying that you need the information avaialble to make the decision.

The Original post and I did search for a fair while and was unable to find anything does not provide any information to the overall situation at the field etc at the time. How much time elapsed between the 2 landings, what effects did it have on aerodrome coverage and facilities. What was the exact position of the aircraft.

Landing on reduced distance runways, reduced width due clearing or just narrow etc are normal parts of the every day job.

I make no suggestion in real terms (only tongue in cheek) that anyone was at fault. Indeed dont know if it even happened. I would however remind that everyone jumps to the conclusion it is legal, when we have no facts of what occured.

If the runway state is unknown, actual usable LDA unknown, and clearance heights etc etc etc unknown we cant really comment.

You can land a B738 in 900M according to the Max Manual case in the QRH but would you ??

PENKO, I agree with you that its perfectly acceptable to land on a runway that is reduced, but based on the original post I just decided to take the other stance to you :-)