PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 30th Jan 2012, 11:57
jamesinnewcastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

Thanks for even more interesting responses!

I'm busy turning the Airfield Standing Orders from 101History into an electronic format if anyone is interested in a copy - do see his post for an overview of what it contains - very enlightening and very likely to be relevant as 101 squadron shared with 7 squadron for a short time

Chugalug2/Hipper

I've been over to Airfield Information Forum and it seems that the 'angle of approach' system was around in late 1940 but only experimentally. So I am pretty certain that it wouldn't have been at Oakington in May 1941.

SOSL

Hi - I'm glad you find it interesting, hopefully the documentary will be even more interesting.

I may have mentioned this before but I have once been in a light aircraft for a photgraphy flight over a castle in Wales. I think that the excitement in wondering if we were going to crash may have over shadowed my fear of heights that time! You notice quite dramatically how much more they roll you than they do in comercial flying (gulp!) I read that the Stirling could turn very tightly - be interesting to know what that angle could be.

Kookabat

I'm always interested in talking to any Stirling aircrew, I'd like to ask the Engineer about the tanks that the fuel was likely to have been in and how much, etc, when the Stirling was landing. Just generally of course. Be interesting to know how the fuel was worked out too - I know the bomb load as this is given in the ORB.

On the ORBs Sgt R S Havery was noted as 2nd Pilot. There was an Air Observer, two gunners, W/OP and a Flight Engineer + Captain. A total of 7.

Cheers
James