PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC2 The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Old 30th Jan 2012, 09:54
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by funfly
people who flew aircraft less than legal, without radios
Lest anyone draw the wrong conclusion from this - its perfectly legal to fly aircraft without radios as long as flight is restricted to class G airspace and airfields that are non-radio.

Sorry, that was typographical, I was not suggesting that it was illegal to fly without a radio.
I would add that I have always been of the opinion (being an opinionated bugger) that the days when flying without a radio was considered safe are long past.
Certainly not by me, nor a great many experienced pilots.

Flying through most parts of the UK, without a radio, is legal and safe. There are occasions where you need a radio - but equally it does not stop mountains and clouds flying into you, if the engine stops it doesn't help very much either, and it doesn't tell you where you are most of the time.

Yes, a radio (and its best friend, the transponder) are jolly convenient tools, and make life much easier. In a few times and places they become essential (on the other hand most airfields will accept non-radio traffic so long as they know you're coming). But essential for safety? - no, not really.

G