PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some observed differences in round engines and jets
Old 30th Jan 2012, 09:27
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
curvedsky - yes, it was the culmination of the solo night cross country. June 1960. I can only assume the QFIs (and air traffic) were turning a blind eye. I well remember watching from our dispersal as pairs of nav lights (no anti-collision beacons then, of course) made their way along that downwind leg (roughly over the road that rubberband talked about in post #29) and then slowly rotated all the way round before returning to upright and then turning onto base leg.

Then it was my turn. I suppose I probably did a practice roll somewhere during the navex - can't remember. And as you say, curvedsky
It was always a difficult judgment, at height on a VFR day, particularly so if the roll was a slow elegant 360º rotation without losing height.
I decided to allow myself an unusually high start to the downwind leg. As far as I can remember, I lost about 500ft - and it was anything but slow and elegant. So, I'm afraid any advice I might offer on top rudder is probably worthless.

On the other hand, we did all survive. And it was more than 50 years ago. Somehow, I can't see it happening today. Many will say that's a good thing.

Btw, I do apologise for appalling thread drift.