PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop command or jet F/O
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 08:15
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How unusual, a Pprune thread full of intelligent observation and balanced comment!
Some airlines do realise the benefit of TP hours. After sever years of DE Cadets, the policy was changed last year at TCX so that cadets would spend 2 years at FlyBe before coming onto the TC Fleet. I suspect that there is finally a recognition that the current regime stretches the resources of the weaker Captains and the weaker Cadets. Things may well move very slowly back in favour of some TP(or small jet) work experience before going onto a big jet, and it may well be the company insurers who begin to insist on it. Unfortunately, this info does not assist the OP.
Secondly, if you do commit to TP, for whatever reason, you are condemning yourself to a lifetime of poor wages. Generally, TP Capt and Jet FO on a proper contract with a respectable airline are not far apart, but with the JET FO having the option of promotion to JET Capt. which will be at least 15k more and if you are lucky with seniority pay, a top end of 100kplus.
Even if you start on poverty jet wages, your upside is still greater than the TP Capt.
There are plenty of jet jobs globally, at the moment, but history teaches that things change fast, so grab it while you can.

And take the long view, how much and how secure will I be in 5 years times, is more important than the downpayment on a nice car tomorrow.

UN614, you will get a good job in the ME FE with your experience, if you want to progress thats the only option unless very lucky.