PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F33A Bonanza
Thread: F33A Bonanza
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 07:43
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when did an F33A get a V-tail??
I'm not familiar with that one..
Suggest you go back and read my post carefully. At NO time did I say that the F33A has a V-tail - I guess the BE33 (Arrow) shot was a bit too subtle for you, huh?

I hope your ops manuals come with pictures!

Seesh - you gotta love Pprune!

What I said is that the V-tail Bonanzas (BE35) have significant CofG issues - but the straight-tail (ie Piper-tail) Bonanzas (ie BE33 "Arrow") are even worse.

In both of these airframes (which are identical apart from the tail), as fuel is burnt the CofG moves aft. In the BE35, that CofG envelope is such that it will stay within the envelope (just) until about 40-50 L of fuel remains - but for the BE33 this is NOT the case and a BE33 at MTOW and on the rear edge of the envelope will depart the envelope as fuel is burnt.

I assume that this is a reflection of the ability of the tailplane/ruddervator to counter the rearward movement of the CofG.

The BE33 is a fine aeroplane but you should carefully consider the CofG issues to ensure that it will do safely what you expect of it.

Plus what Chuckles said!

Dr

PS: ..... and for the record, all Bonanzas (BE35) have a V-tail! The BE33 'Arrow' and the BE36 'Lance' are similar in many ways and are often confused with the Bonanza.

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 30th Jan 2012 at 08:02.