PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plane lands at Accra with runway blocked?
Old 29th Jan 2012, 23:37
ExSp33db1rd

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Even if all brakes failed, this aircraft would still have more runway ahead than many fully serviceable runways in Europe.
But I assume that most of those runways - of whatever length - would have an available, clear, overrun not blocked by another aircraft ?

I'm sure you'll now nominate many short European runways with tall cliffs growing out of the far threshold - of which I know none, and no longer need to know about now, either, thank you.

I guess at the end of the day the Commander made a decision that he felt he could justifiably support should it ever be questioned - that's what he's paid for - End Of Story.

The only reason I mentioned the Teneriffe disaster was that people died because two aircraft were on the same runway at the same time, I can't presently think of another example of that point - tho' you can doubtless enumerate many.

Was once No. 3 on approach to Idlewild ( Kennedy to the younger generation) and the tower advised No. 2 to be ready to 'go around', maybe. No. 2 asked why ? Because No. 1 hasn't touched down yet and he's only a mile ahead of you. So, said No. 2 - he needs a mile to stop ? ( I'm talking 707's ) I ain't a goin' around unless you put someone between him and me ! and he didn't.

Was once refused take-off clearance at Taipei, having started, because an aircraft had fallen off the end of the runway at our destination Hong Kong (Kai Tak ) and the airfield had been closed. The aircraft wasn't actually still on the runway, but was in the water at the end. Our Company (not BA) Station Manager told me to go, because " he " had "a friend" in Hong Kong Operations who would give us landing clearance once we got there. Yeah! Right! We left 4 hours later.

At our local GA field the Air NZ Commuter Beech 19 pilots refuse to land if, in my microlight, I'm holding in the turning blister at the threshold as tho' clearly off to one side I am technically "on" the runway (not at a designated holding point clear of the approach 'cos there isn't one at that end) - shouldn't they still be clearing the mythical 50' screen at that point, and therefore well above me,anyway ? what threat am I ? but Rules are Rules, even tho' sometimes the Law is an Ass.