PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2012, 22:36
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks and yes I was serious.

I personally don't understand the RAF desire to participate in CVF. I suspect it boils down to survival of the service. i.e. if they're not in JCA then they have Typhoon and that is it as far as FW goes. So it's the lesser of two evils and is not because CAS fundementally supports sea basing.

I don't understand why the UK is going to be different. I would have thought that we would do carrier strike like the experts, hence my questions.

I suspect that the cat and trap skills are high end and perishable, so you need to practice. I suspect that some in the RN will over play this (which is inefficient but safe) and some in the light blue will under play it (which is dangerous).

I personally think that the expertise in operating an aeroplane needs to find its way into CAOC/ MAOC, flyco and Fleet HQ. So to me the need for a dark blue aviator runs deeper than just pounding the flight deck.

As regards MO, you answered it in your answer, so thank you.

I believe that in growing the best capability for UK defence you probably want to start by copying the guys who are already doing it and have been for some time. That means a lot of time embarked, by guys prepared to do it, whose career path remains embedded within the capability.

Of course, if CAS were to go on record as committing RAF personnel to extended periods embarked the RN argument starts to look vulnerable. If he went high risk we could even see Joint Force Lightning rebranded as the FAA of the RAF....where I think we've been before!

Thanks again.