PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane went tech at an irritating moment! Have you had it?
Old 29th Jan 2012, 15:46
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 430 Likes on 227 Posts
Far too many times.

One memorable one was the first time I loaded my employer's brand new helicopter up to max. all up weight, filling all the seats with normally non-flying workers who had been awarded a "jolly" to London (for them, not me).

An engine chip warning occurred in transit, so I had to shut down that engine and divert to an international aiport. We landed on the runway with three fire engines following us. I spoke to our maintenance authority, got the engine checked out and finally got on our way again. Same chip light came on again as we coincidentally flew over the airfield where the maintenance organisation was based. I shut the faulty engine down again and diverted to a running landing for the second time in two hours. They checked everything out and signed the aircraft serviceable one more time. The damned chip light came on a third time as I was on short finals to London Heliport. I landed on, shut down, apologised and seven very unimpressed pax went on their merry way, most of them vowing never to fly on that ****in' 'elicopter ever again.