PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF future fast jets
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2012, 15:02
Backwards PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wise words, Capt PUG. Bottom line is the RAF wants a fifth generation capability so are keen that the UK gets F35. The RN are desperate to preserve the carriers so will suggest sacrificing the air capability in order to do that. I don't think that the RN have a hope of winning the argument because a. The F35 will be far more capable, b. The F35 will actually be cheaper to UK plc due to industrial workshare (not ticket price) and c. The politicians will never change their minds twice - they would look very stupid.

Btw, I don't think that the plan was ever for the RN to purely fly from the carriers and the RAF from land - there was always going to be a mix, although sqns would be biased to one service, exactly like JFH. Given the current CEPP philosophy, the RN have shot themselves in the foot (although clearly it is RAF scheming) by planning on only having 9-12 F35s embarked. With a single carrier that, optimistically, will have 75% availability it means that maritime will be a relatively small part of JFSF, although probably a disproportionate training burden.

Finally. Of those currently in the US flying, or training to fly, the Hornet, how many do you think will fly F35 for the RAF/RN. I would hazard a guess at none but there may be one or 2, if you are optimistic, so little sense in the RAF committing money there just yet.