PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation and Ground-Effect
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2002, 12:45
vorticey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crab

why is there a vortex around the wing? maybe trailing edgers should be round not to inhibit this vortex? dont think so. the air on top and under the trailing edge are leaving it at the same speed although slightly closer to the wing tip than on entry.

DeltaFree
would'nt the ground help vortice's develop, making outward flow, which is easily ingested back into the top of the disk? a building near by increases the ingestion further making the flow go up.

by 'sheet vortex', do you mean outward flowing air?

PREASURE doesnt the asi measure velocity with a diaphragm in the wind (not directly), that is deflected with pressure?
lets say this asi is made from a tube facing into the airflow and a diaphragm at the end. i guess the air speed, by looking at the deflection of the diaphragm (it doesnt matter). im saying the pressure in the tube is going to be the same as in the diaphragm at any airspeed, air speed in the tube would be 0. at the entrance of the tube there will also be a cone of presure sticking out from the middle where air builds up and flows to the sides aswell. take the tube away, now the pressure cone will now be on the front of the diaphragm.

relation to this thread (incase you were wondering), if the diaphragm was under the helicopter it would measure the downward velocity with preasure in relation to the ground.
now at 30 000 feet the same diaphram is held under the helicopter with surrounding helium balloons to overcome gravity only. the diaphragm measures pressure but some is exerted to the ouside air which cant suport it so the diaphragm measures less pressure.
theorfore the downward velocity increases pressure near the ground which reduces induced flow. and yes nick, i think that the cone of pressure i mentioned above would be under the centre of the helicopter simply cause it cant escape. where the air can escape there's less pressure (around the edges).