PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2012, 13:41
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Angel Top of the World

@VF: Mate, your pictures are absolutely fantastic! and as expressed before I am very jealous! You do an awesome job! Well done.. Thanks for the pictures too I really enjoy seeing them..Thank You Darren999, I appreciate Your feedback, will post more soon
I do have a couple of silly questions, there are no silly questions

1. At the heights you work at, are there Oxygen requirements, issues? of course there is, from 10,000' crew must be on O2 continuously. I have had no issues, but seen plenty of people with Altitude Sickness & it aint pretty coughing up blood & water from their lungs,
2. You pick up 5/6 people at those high altitudes, how much fuel do you carry? not much just enough to get to the fuel cache I dumped on the way up there, legally 20 mins in the tank, but I try for 30 mins
3. The performance of your helicopters seems amazing, I am amazed it picks up all those people at that height, do you ever just run out of power? never have enough power to tun out of usually Ng limited in an AS350B3+, Nr limited in an B2 & B & T4 limited in a B26BIII. many high altitude take-offs require cushion creep technique to the cliff edge & then fall off to get airspeed to fly away

I would really like to see some pictures of Everest you have taken, what's the highest you have been up too? I have posted a few here already, the correct name for Mount. Everest is Sagar Matha (meaning the Goddess Mother of the Universe)

I was at 12,000' and found that bloody spooky!!You do get used to the spooky feel but then there is the sloppy feel of the controls, the lack of power, looking always for where is the wind coming from cause you need every once of help you can get.

Happy Landings & always know where the wind is & do EVERYTHING into wind except piss, (unless your wearing gators )

VF