PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 28th Jan 2012, 20:24
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
pr00ne,

In respect of the RN you stated, "There is only one navy on the planet with a capability and a capacity that exceeds the above...."

While to a certain extent it is comparing apples and pears, I am afraid I would have to say that your statement is incorrect. Obviously the capability and capacity of the USN exceeds that of the RN, but what about the rest of the world?

Looking at current forces:

RN

2 x LPH
2 x LPD
6 x DD
13 x FF
7 x SSN
4 x SSBN

Well, ownership of SSBNs is a fairly select club, but lets look at other nations:

Japan

4 x LPD
8 x DD
29 x DD/FF
16 x SSK

India

1 x CVS
1 x LPD
8 x DD
12 x FF
24 Corvettes
29 Patrol vessels
15 SSK

France

1 x CVN
3 x LPH
1 x LPD
4 x DD
19 x FF
6 x SSN
4 x SSBN

Russia

1 x CV
6 x CG/CGN
15 x DD
4 x FF
17 x SSN
13 x SSK
5 x SSGN
10 x SSBN

China

1 x CV??
3 x LPD
25 x DD
47 x FF
63 Subs, including 6 SSN and 4 SSBN

I would say at least a couple of those nations have a capability and capacity that exceeds that of the RN. As I said to start with, we are discussing apple and pears in a way. We can also throw serviceablity, availability, quality of training, etc, into the mix in any debate. Yes, the RN is due to launch 2 carriers in the years to come, which will provide a massive increase in capability. When they will arrive, how many will see service, and what will fly off them is still to be confirmed, as will whether any other RN hulls have to be given up as a trade off. However, by 2020 other nations will also have new hulls in the water, and some of them have ambitious plans and pockets to match...

It's not a wi*#y waving competition. Nor do I think that we should have the second biggest navy in the world. All I'm trying to do is point out that your comment is at the very least highly debatable, and more likely simply incorrect...