PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thought experiment - school taildragger
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2012, 17:15
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learn't to fly in a Chippie. I'm sure I'd have worried more if anyone had told me that it was more difficult because it was tailwheel - ignorance is a wonderful thing.
Quite, and you probably learned a lot more as a result! I think there's a certain parallel with driving: Today they teach you to operate a car. If it doesn't have a slew of acronyms to keep you from harm it's dangerous. Aeroplanes a little the same perhaps?

I did an hour in a chippie and loved it, however you should've heard the spiel from one of the instructors about it being the training aircraft for a spitfire, having the handling traits to go with it, zero visibility , nasty swing, and on and on - he built it up to be quite a monster.

In the event, the guy I flew with (older) was altogether zero drama. Only issues were some funny up-lines due to me failing to adapt to the engine rotation, and incessantly checking the brakes 'cos of the little note about spins and limiting rudder travel(!)

Have also flown a Cessna 180 (never got on top of, found quite a handful on go-around), Decathlon (a fair bit, love it), S2A (now that has visibility issues..), and the EA200 (briefly). Of all of them, I'd buy a decathlon for the do-it-all aeroplane, but there's the issue of where to house it..

P.S. There are very few fun&practical do-it-all cars either. They're all nosewheel drive too