PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR FO Jobs
Thread: ATR FO Jobs
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2012, 12:37
saucy jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

My company (German ATR operator) recently took 8 new co-pilots, four with Type rating and no hours on type and 4 without. They are now going through respectively line and TR training. Nationalities are mixed.

However our Chief Pilot discarded over 90 per cent of applications at the initial CV filtering stage due to poor presentation, poor language, incorrect spelling of the company name etc etc. In other words school-boy errors creating a poor First Impression.

For example one CV claimed level 6 english skills but was without credibility because it was written in unintelligible english. Another included paragraphs about previous responsibilities for Internal Rate of Return analysis at a financial institution that ran to several pages on a Blackberry...but again of no interest to a Chief Pilot.

The message was clear. You may not be applying to British Airways or KLM but treat your application as if you are. The chances are that in a smaller company your application will be seen by a senior pilot who will one day have to sit next to you, not a faceless Human Resources goon. Make a good impression!!!

Do find out a little about the company's operations and mention it in a tailored covering letter. Do check, double-check and re-check spelling and grammar. Do keep it brief. Do emphasise your Flexibility (a KEY word), the many languages you speak (a KEY failing among the english!), your availability at any time/anti-social hours, willingness to relocate etc.

The point I want to make is that there are 8 success stories here, but doubtless other potentially excellent candidates fell at the first hurdle when they need not have done.

So take heart from the successful ones, but remember that every bona fide company (I do not consider P2F companies as bona fide) is looking for the best candidates it can get, and an ATR type rating and two arms and two legs are not enough on their own to guarantee you anything. You have to stand out somewhat from the crowd. Start with a good CV.

That is the advice from the front line. Best of luck out there!