PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TB20 gear warning
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2012, 10:21
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not me

That video has been well discussed in various places.

The plane is externally identical to mine except I have a 3B prop. I think theirs was an early GT (year 2000 or so) because the avionics look a bit of an odd mix.

Hard to know what to make of it - other than one should not disregard warning noises without knowing exactly what one is doing.

There are two gear warnings: a horn goes off if the full flap is selected and the gear is still up, and it goes off if the throttle lever is below a specific position and the gear is still up.

You can defeat the first warning by landing with takeoff flap (which is pointless, contravenes the POH, but is reportedly popular in the USA where they have lots of big runways) and you can disable the second warning by landing into a strong headwind which requires a lot of power. The lesson, therefore, is to always use landing flap. Then you should never get any warnings, and getting any should mean a go-around because it is either a gear-up or a stall.

These people were correctly configured but simply ignored the noises.

Mind you, if the actual CVR of AF447 ever leaks out, I am sure we will hear something very similar...