PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Almost died in the Gulf of Mexico yesterday..
Old 28th Jan 2012, 07:57
HPIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a couple questions about ops in the GOM. First of all, keep in mind this is coming from a 10k hour FW pilot with Comm/Inst RW and 500 hours.....so just enough to be dangerous.

1. Do the VFR helicopter in the GOM have basic VFR instrumentation, or do they have full IFR instruments but are only VFR certified? I assume they have full IFR instruments in case of inadvertent VFR into IMC. I have friends flying 206's in medevac roles that are full IFR equipped but only VFR certified, and the pilots have to do sim checks IFR every so often just in case. Am I correct to assume its basically the same for GOM operators?

2. Say a pilot departs in an IFR equipped but VFR certified 206 for a platform in minimum allowed weather. Along the way, the weather drops and he has to turn around....but the weather has dropped behind him as well. In my mind, the best course of action is to go on instruments and climb into it if you're boxed in with no place to land. Again, keep in mind, this is my FW mentality and the fact that I have nearly 1k hours actual IFR and feel 100% comfortable doing it. I know that many RW only pilots have very little to no actual IFR time and probably aren't proficient at IFR flying.

Is it recommended that if you are boxed in that you just climb into it and go shoot an approach somewhere? Obviously, I expect that if a pilot gets himself into that situation, he will be called in for a carpet dance....but is it likely to be more serious than just getting a talking to? I suspect repeat offenders will be handled differently. I'm referring only to the company here, not the FAA. We all know they can always get you with careless and reckless if they want to.

Thanks for any replies. I keep my eye on this section since I am considering making the move to strictly RW...but with 500 hours RW and no CFI(I have FW, but have not added on RW CFI) I'm a bit limited, and I'm thinking some VFR operations in the GOM may be my only shot for starting out.