PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetGo Australia????
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2012, 03:05
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
From my logbook for the last three flights I did BNE-EMD-BNE in the ERJ-145, the block times were respectively 2.5, 2.7 and 2.6 hours, so one hour 18 minutes average one way, not 50 minutes. Sure, there would be ATC delays in that lot because we returned to BNE at peak hour, so those times equate to about a 280 knot block speed. I recall the aeroplane was only good for a cruise TAS around 375 knots and there were a bunch of low altitude speed restrictions which killed any chance of high speed all the way to the outer marker.
The 135 should be quicker but no way it would be 75 knots faster than a 145. It will certainly climb and cruise (but not descend) 100 knots faster than an older Dash 8 but over that sector length it wouldn't amount to anywhere near the time-saving they are claiming. Seems they are quoting the Dash at average scheduled block time for that route and their own machine at sales brochure TAS with no allowance for ATC or taxi.
I do wish the sales people would tell it how it is, or at least make the comparisons constant. When the client is disappointed in the on-time performance, the sales mob are always quick to field it to the Chief Pilot to 'please explain' all the delays.
Then the bean counters get in on the act asking why the hourly revenue is less than the hourly costs. Derrr.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 28th Jan 2012 at 03:52.