PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain v VAA F/O
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2012, 02:43
Full Left Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, a very interesting thread. The security arguments are of course very valid, but I have decided to give up a very lucrative mainland europe easyJet contract and move to BA. The reason for this has not really been discussed yet I don't think - long term health.

I am about to embark on a 5th straight 4 sector duty in excess of 10 hours. All of which started before 05.30am. It doesn't take a doctor to tell you what effect this will take on your body.

To take an example, there are 5 captains at my base who are suffering from a narrowing of their ear canal. The doctors say it is due to too high a frequency of pressurisation cycles. All 5 guys look set to lose their medicals at not much over 40 years old. At least if you are made redundant from the bottom of a seniority list you have a chance of securing some future for your family. At over 40 with no medical it is a different ball game......

Two pilots at my base also had sleep tests done recently. When the sleep doctor was shown the rosters he thought the guys were joking.

Good luck to everyone making these tough decisions at the moment.