PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Thing I Couldn't Do .....
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2012, 20:59
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that turns around the nose and tail are a visualisation kind of thing, but one point to note about them that might make it easier is to consider the direction of movement vs. direction of yaw.

These turns are a combination of a translatory movement, ie you're bodily moving your arse one way or the other, and yaw.

Let's talk about a turn around the nose.

To start, I pick a spot on the ground in front of me and imagine the little circle my backside will follow around that point.
I'll use lateral cyclic to start that motion, and pedal to keep myself pointing at the spot.
If my backside is moving to the right, I'll need to yaw left to keep pointing at the correct place - ie the direction of yaw is opposite to that of translational movement. Also, there'll be one full turn of yaw for each full circle I make.
It's easy to see if I'm using the right amount of yaw, because the chosen spot will stay there right in front of me.

The turn around the tail is a bit more nebulous, as it means imagining how long the helicopter is and using that mental judgement to keep the tail in one place as you turn.

Note here that if, as before, I move my backside to the right, I'll now need right yaw to keep myself pointing directly away from the spot where the tail is (ie to keep the tail in that spot). So now, the directions of both yaw and bodily movement are the same.

Also, because my backside is now at the outer part of the big circle rather than the inner part, it'll have to physically move a lot further over the ground. That means a good deal more lateral cyclic compared to the amount of yaw, but again, one full turn of yaw will be needed for each full circle.
It's just that my body is sweeping further over the ground during that big circle it's making.

Don't know if that's of any help, but keep it up and you'll get there.

Last edited by Arm out the window; 27th Jan 2012 at 21:29.