PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC2 The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Old 27th Jan 2012, 12:24
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only bad thing that I found about the programme is that it's made me want to have a go in a microlight! Up until now, as a glider pilot (which really is as close as you get to flying like a bird), I've always thought of microlighting as a boring way of noisily drilling a hole through the sky. The programme caste the sport in an entirely different light. Whilst it showed some of the muppetry that exists in all forms of aviation, it also showed some of the more fun, albeit eccentric, characters too. Richard struck me as one of those people we characterise as "a bit odd" but who obviously has a wealth and depth of experince way beyond the majority of his compatriots. The Irish pair provided a lovely TV storyline - dad & lad bonding, etc. In fairness to the son, I don't think anything he said was unreasonabe or whingey. I'd always prefer a passenger to tell they're not happy rather than them staying quiet about it. Even happier with the second set of eyes calling out traffic! His Father showed a great deal of aviator maturity too by listening to his son's concerns and making sure they had a good time.

Great TV, fun programme. Now where do I find a micolight strip West of London?