PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about spinning
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2002, 22:13
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about spinning

Can you spin from a slip? what about a skid?

I remember reading a book about spinning a while ago saying you could not spin from a slip, but you can from a skid. Why? Surely you can stall from a slip, crossed controls are pro spin, so why no spin? I am not sure the author was right, although I can see how it might be right in SOME aeroplanes as I tried to stall a Super Cub from a slip one day and couldn't. However a Cub is difficult to stall at times anyway. I know different aircraft have very different spin characteristics, but generally is a slip safe? what about fin stall? Is this likely in a certificated aircraft and if so, what is the recovery?

Secondly, do you have any good recommendations for books about spinning? There seems to be a lot of folklore around and it is difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, some people say for instance never use power in spin recoveries, others say it helps get out of a spin and some people say it depends on the aircraft. A good book would certainly help.

I hope you do not mind me using this forum, perhaps this post should be on questions, but I have come here to have a good discussion and hopefully avoid some folklore. My background is a degree in Aero Eng and some limited aerobatic experience, but definitely not enough to be able to answer my own question in one type of aircraft, let alone the general case.

Regards,
J-Rider