PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASYJET What are they like to work for?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2002, 21:23
scrapmetal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems a fair question, that deserves an honest answer.

I don't normally bother with these things, but I have never before felt so incised to offer my opinion.

I have been at EJ for over two years. Before them I worked for a charter company, before that I flew schedule and before that turbo props, so I have seen some different operations in my time.

I joined EJ because they had great expansion plans, they made a big song and dance about the family environment, the caring and sharing, and of course the rapid time to command.

Now don't get me wrong this is not a vent because I am still an FO, far from it. There is no way I would ever take a command in this company and I will leave as soon as I find something suitable.

Why?

The meritocracy of this company breeds an atmosphere of distrust and back stabbing. It is assumed and dare I say encouraged, that he who brown noses the best gets promoted quickest.

The lack of a seniority list means it is necessary to be seen in order to be promoted. Look at the management and you will see they have all come from a similar aviation back ground. They promote their own (and I'm not just talking about commands, but more worryingly to positions of significant managerial importance).

Recent events have allowed EJ to pick up some very experienced captains from flagging airlines. This has always been the easy way, good for them. It does however mean that their "promise" of early command can not be achieved as there are not the positions available. Look at the stats. 85% of new captains were direct entry. Those promoted were sent off to the frozen north, whilst the DE guys got the London jobs.

Every year they promise this will change.

The rostering of 6 on 3 off is an excellent idea. It is the first time I have ever been able to plan my life. Only I can't.

I start with three earlies, move into 2 four sector days and finish on a night flight. My 3 off very quickly becomes a 1.5 off.

Then there are the changes. Sure it was bad in the summer, but it hasn't improved that much now, despite all the apologies from the management. I still turn up at work not sure when I will be coming home, or if I will work anything vaguely similar to my roster. Making plans to spend time with friends or pick up the kids, or get your car serviced are all impossible on a work day as changes are so prolific.

So what of the management?

Well my base manager is a personable enough bloke, but he has very little managerial skill. His boss has absolutely no people skills at all and is widely mistrusted. Same applies at other bases. And their boss? Well he tried to leave but failed the interview allegedly.

And now the crew room talk is of those who intend to leave. The money section of the Mail (I think) said 40 pilots have already resigned. More disruption for the rest of us, but good luck to them.

Although apparently EJ won't let you leave. I am told (from a reliable source) that certain base captains are refusing to complete references and going out of their way to make alternative employment difficult.

And the money. Well theoretically it is very good. But after your travel (six commutes to work a week) topping up your pension, PHI, loss of licence etc etc, I am actually slightly worse off than I was in charter.

I think EJ serve a very important place in the avaition community, and I started out very proud to work for them. There are a lot of good guys to fly with, the aircraft are OK and routes, whilst becoming a bit repetitive do allow lots of handling.

But it is not a career airline, and will never be all the time the empire builders are allowed to continue as they have done, surrounding themselves with yes men.

I hope the fresh blood from GO will improve matters, but I am sorry to say, the first decent sniff of a job and I'm gone.

Some may say good riddance to me, but those who do are incredibly blinkered. Action has to be taken to prevent this possibly great airline becoming dominated by weak individuals.

Don't join unless your existing situation is really unmanagable.