PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2012, 10:01
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by S78
A lot of these lasers are purchased by yobs on holiday and imported back into the UK from places where they are freely available - Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus, Spain and a few others.

Unfortunately UKBA cannot touch them because lasers are not prohibited.

As soon as our MPs get their heads out of their expenses forms and pass the appropriate laws then you may see a drop in the availability of these things. - although I suspect that it may take a fatal crash before something is done....
So long as these rules are about use, not ownership.

I have a reasonably powerful (I think legal) green laser; it lives in my jacket pocket, I find it extremely useful when giving presentations or pointing out things on an aeroplane on my regular periods in the hangar talking about modifications and problems.

If I pointed it at an aeroplane in flight, I would deserve to be locked up.

In parallel, I own a large number of large and very sharp kitchen knives. I used them regularly, most recently for shaving a ham for a sandwich last night.

If I decided to use the same knife in public to scare or persuade somebody, I would also deserve to be locked up.

So, don't please pressure to ban a very useful tool - just ensure that the misuse of that tool is a criminal act that is severely punished.

G