PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2012, 09:53
bananaman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an interested bystander, we've had similar debates in Europe about Employment success stories via certain flight schools, the point being...

Some schools have a very good track record of their students securing airline employment, but is it down to the student or the FTO?...

In the Philippines it's been an applicants market for quite some time (i'd say at least 18 months) rather than an employers (i.e where there are very few jobs and lots of candidiates, where the airline can pick and choose at will). For the locals at least anyway - no real expat recruitment. Are these students employed becuase they got an MPL through Alpha - I don't think so, they were employed because they got their licence and they probably did all the hard work in securing and passing the interview themselves. They could've got a job by going to any school, getting their licence and they're probably good pilots anyway - otherwise wouldn't have got onto an MPL program. By going to Alpha, they've spent 3 years, doing a 2 year course that they've paid top dollar for... this means 1 year more of expenses e.g accom, food etc. Lack of consistency - perhaps needing remedial training etc, not to mention lost time and stress.

There is a distinction to be made between training for initial CPL/IR issue and A320 training. Having seen the A320 operation, I don't see how a TRTO in their right mind can rely on leftover sim from the airlines (i.e Cebu/PAL) to conduct a business, promising to get people out in 10weeks I think the official line is (for Type rating only). Besides my A320 Type Rating in the US and everyone else's I know took 5-6 weeks (even with some short gaps for a break of 2/3 days) - so 10 weeks is already long. Obviously if you're lucky enough to be rushed through on the APX scheme, being sent to France to get the sims done, then things will seem a lot better. Additionally $800 per hour for FFS is ridiculous... most places i've seen are around $200 per hr cheaper. On the plus side once they get their new sim all to themselves, maybe things will be ok. Also the instructors I hear are very good.

My suggestion... go to Leading Edge, get your licence in a year or so for P1.5 Mill, then (reluctantly) do the Type Rating with Alpha once their new sim is up and running (as CAAP and at least Zest/APX require it).