PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop uncommanded shut-downs.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2012, 00:49
G-CPTN
Resident insomniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laptop uncommanded shut-downs.

A few months ago I bought a new Toshiba laptop (from Tesco).

During the first couple of weeks it frequently shut down, sometimes with the BSOD, without apparent cause.

I returned it to Tesco and they replaced it without question.

The replacement seemed to behave 'normally' - at least for the first few weeks, but there have been numerous occasions when the machine has rebooted (losing all unsaved data), often when it was left unattended (so I couldn't monitor the shut-down).

Recently, it has taken to shutting down whilst I am using it, and the sequence seems to be as follows:-

The cooling fan speed and volume increases, even though there is no obstruction of the cooling vents and no increase in the temperature of the air emitted from the vents - ie no evidence that there is any actual overheating, and not accompanied by any complex activity (no graphic rendering or similar task). Only occasionally does the BSOD appear. Immediate rebooting (the machine switches itself off abruptly and completely) is accompanied by increased fan speed and volume and usually results in sudden shutdown requiring rebooting from a 'dead' condition until, after several attempts the OS works and the desktop appears (though, of course, all unsaved documents are 'wiped' without trace. Occasionally it also wipes the memory that allows Firefox to recover windows that were open when the shut-down occurred.

My question is, whether there is a record being logged of these uncommanded sudden shut-downs that I can access and use to explain WTF is going on.

The machine is a Toshiba Satellite C660-21Q Intel P6100 @ 2.00 GHz 6.00 GB RAM 64-bit OS W7 Home Premium SP1.