PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Night At YPPH - 'EASTERLIES"....
Old 25th Jan 2012, 20:27
goose1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some interesting comments here re fuel carriage.
There is a trend for the younger to follow the management push to not carry what they would consider, excessive fuel.
If this is your choice, then your options do become limited. You just have to manage what you put on in a sensible manner.
Perth deserves a lot of consideration in a number of possible wx events, also Brisbane.
If for example the TTF had a req'd for Tempo T/S's, my line of thought is to plan to use the 60mins then have another option remaining. This happened to me last year in Brissy, after 75mins holding down low due to giving away the first approach, we were on our last approach, then off to Sydney. We just landed prior to the next line of storms.
In that situation, we knew losing our divert option and staying longer to wait out the storms was not desirable.
Hence, having a few approaches up your sleeve at perth and then being able to proceed elsewhere would probably be a good pre flight consideration.
I concur with the previous comments regarding windshear detection systems.
For example, my last approach B737 (10years ago) into wellington, the wind was 320/48 gusting 65, in the final 20 feet after agressively managing the thrust to maintain an approp g/s, i selected TOGA and had max thrust but still going down, the windshear warning went off just prior to the main gear touching down, one of the smoothest landings ever, funnily.
Still had a few more approaches and altn fuel there as well.
YOU WANT IT? CARRY IT