PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Threatens to Close Strait of Hormuz
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2012, 13:47
hval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless,

Between the 1960s and the mid-1980s, about fifteen oil and natural gas fields were discovered by the Soviets in northern Afghanistan. These fields were concentrated in the vicinity of Sheberghan, the capital of the province of Jovzjan, about 120 kilometers west of Mazar-i-Sharif. However, despite these discoveries, from 1959 to 2006, oil extraction came almost exclusively from the Angot field, which in its heyday produced an average of 500 barrels per day (bpd). Recently, for practical reasons, Afghanistan ceased its production of oil.

As to natural gas, Afghanistan’s current production accounts for only one tenth of the level of daily gas production in 1978 in northern Afghan fields like Khowaja Gogerdak, Djarquduk and Yatimtaq.

Seismic surveys have been carried out in Afghanistan, as has drilling & extraction. I would agree that there is unlikely to be significant oil deposits in the South and the West of Afghanistan.

The following link Oil & Natural gas Viewer (which I provided in one of my previous postings) shows you the data. The link shows you the well locations, the seismic survey lines and much more. The USGS web site this link is from (USGS Projects in Afghanistan) provides a very detailed report. Just remember to select the options you wish to see data for.

I am envious of you carrying out the aerial surveys. I was normally land based, or marine based for carrying out exploration. Were you on the Tirpul basin survey in 2006? The North was surveyed the same year. Have a read of this.
USGS Assessment Significantly Increases Afghanistan Petroleum Resource Base

Go here for the report (which you are able to download).

Hopefully that should keep you happy. Still envious of you though.