PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Threatens to Close Strait of Hormuz
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2012, 12:15
SASless

Received 512 Likes on 214 Posts
Hval....my statement about there not being enough OIL in Afghanistan to light up a Miner's Lantern is correct. If you really believe it to be wrong...produce some information about the OIL fields that exist in the country. OIL was the supposed reason for any involvement by the USA according to the person I was responding to with my reply. I said he was wrong....and I say you are wrong. He in his usual whine that everything is always about OIL and you for saying I was wrong for pointing out the absence of OIL in the place.

You are very correct about the Mineral wealth of the area. Back in the mid-70's....I flew in support of the first Geological Survey of Iran which confirmed the same for that country. We found lots of Copper and other valuable assets. We were flying in an area adjacent to Afghanistan so I am sure the two areas were very similar in makeup.

Interestingly enough...there were remains of old Copper Smelters...and not a tree of any size within several hundreds of miles. Progressive live stock grazing practices and a harsh climate along with an over use of the fuel supply led to a proper Desert landscape in the area that once had sufficient wood to fuel the smelters.

Oil - proved reserves - Country Comparison