PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-UAS flyers flying again decades later!
Old 25th Jan 2012, 10:02
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I was in a UAS for a year or so, it accounts for approximately 1.5% of my total flying hours, but most of my "free" time during a very important and formative period of my life. So, I like the fact that I was a UAS cadet, go to occasional reunions, and still have a lot of affection for the good old Bloodknot. I still occasionally wear a pair of SUAS cufflinks to the office.

Since that time, I reckon I've had to pass 5 skill tests, an RT exam, 21 written exams, and demonstrate satisfactory flying on a selection of checkouts, BFRs, and so-on which I've lost count of but must be very well into double figures. I've been sent solo on three different aircraft classes.

Along the way I've had the occasional concession on hours (UAS flying to my JAR-PPL included), and I think skipped two written exams because of other civil licences that covered the material. But ultimately I've had to meet the flying and knowledge standards that applied at every step along the way.

Which is true of everybody, including the OP. I'm sure he was well aware of this - but you can hardly blame somebody for looking for concessions, particularly on hours (which are expensive) so long as they meet the required standards before being let off on their own.

And if en-route he can find people who share some of his background and prior experiences - which may just be enjoyable, or may actually help with the flying because they understand his starting point, why the heck not?

G