PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2012, 07:41
Shagpile

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
On Crashes, the cause of 99% of them is memory (running out of it). We do get crash reports and have practically zero traditional bugs any more [i.e. from programming errors].

I left my iPad1(iOS 5.0.1) running OzRunways overnight last night & it was still running this morning. There are no memory leaks from normal use. It will not crash whilst running normally, only through heavy interaction on iPad1, which only has about 30mb available for apps.

If you cycle through scratchpad (10mb), AIP (12mb), have an ERSA page up & do a bunch of map scrolling with lots of waypoints displayed, don't be surprised if it runs out of memory - there is no way around this, the hardware is deficient for the amount of data displayed.

What happens is when you switch back to maps and pan around, it does a database lookup & requests 2mb memory for the waypoints search. The operating system says "oh crap, I don't have that much" and sends a message. We kill off AIP, but it's too late; maps has requested too much, too quickly, before the operating system can kill off background apps. iOS doesn't use virtual memory, so it doesn't bog-down like Windows. It just kills the app!

Optimizing this has been my pet project & each update I put a bunch of fixes to help keep memory use low. The next release will incorporate many more ensuring even better iPad1 stability, such as caching database lookups.