PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-UAS flyers flying again decades later!
Old 25th Jan 2012, 07:20
silverknapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Silverknapper, if you are ex-UAS then a strange attitude,
If not ,your advice was not sought ,read the post before jumping in.)
Jjoe

Sadly you obviously came here looking for an answer you wanted to hear, rather than a real world view.
You came to the private flying forum, therefore one assumes you are seeking advice from anyone with experience in this aviation sector. As it happens I am ex UAS amongst other things.
My comment still stands. You clearly assume you are due some sort of shortcut because you did some flying 24 years ago. Now I'm no expert but if ( an assumption on my part, please do correct me if I'm wrong ) you last piloted an aircraft 24 years ago why are you looking for shortcuts immediately. To me that stinks of not giving the NPPL the respect it deserves. Perhaps you have been piloting in the interim period, at a commercial level perhaps? If so forgive my assumptions.
A lot has changed in aviation in almost three decades. Human factors being an excellent example. Perhaps if you revised your attitude from 'what's the minimum I can get away with' to 'i'll go in with an open mind, no preconceptions and see how I go' you may find you learn more. After all it is not an inexpensive venture.
I find after a month off flying I am a touch rusty and have to think about things which before I went on holiday were second nature. I also try to treat every day as a school day. After 24 years I dread to think what I would have forgotten. Hence you may be best served by keeping an open mind and not trying to jump the gun because you were so illustrious 24 years ago.