PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Night At YPPH - 'EASTERLIES"....
Old 25th Jan 2012, 03:08
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Unfortunately we have the blind adherance to the letter of the stabilised approach criteria.
Or is it a lack of understanding as to what the book actually says? Ours says this:

A stable approach exists when the aircraft is configured for landing, on the normal approach path, with correct thrust, rate of descent and airspeed required under the prevailing conditions.
(My highlight! ).

So the speed can be going up and down as much as it likes. If it's more than +20 then the PNF is required to make a call but that does NOT make it mandatory for the PF to make a go around if the thrust and rate of descent is required for the prevailing conditions.

It's sad that PPRUNE has come to this but I need to be blunt and say that I'm NOT advocating going into the flare at +30 knots but flying a reference ground speed that is the equivalent of about VRef +20 when you are expecting low level shear, and accepting speed excursions above VRef +20 when above the expected shear height. This still meets the stable approach criteria even if it means the PNF will be 'chirping' a bit making the mandatory calls regarding speed.