PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Force fatalities
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2012, 21:27
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Coninsgby Wing moved in toto to Cottesmore around that time. I think initially it had been planned as a Bolthole (not a term at the time) but the planned changed to a permanent move around August.

We had planned to go to the Far East around 24 Sep but instead deployed on the 9th. The Station Commander deployed as the task force commander but returned to UK around the 13th or 14th as he had a pressing engagement - the Summer Ball and to move the Wing.

It is unlikely that the whole wing moved in the space of a few days and Wg Cdr Baker may well have been on the posted strength of Cottesmore but still flying from Coningsby.

an asymmetric approach for a roller and all appeared normal until the aircraft crossed the threshold. Power was applied and the aircraft was seen to bank to starboard and turn sharply away from the runway
The aircraft had the more powerful 301 engines and possibly had take-off power selected. Take-off power could deliver up to 104% static thrust. If the throttles for all engines were advanced together the live engines would produce maximum power around 30 seconds ahead (IIRC) the idling engines. The relatively small rudder did not have enough authority to overcome the asymetric forces. A similar instance had occurred when Ron Dick, a highly experienced pilot, was put in the same situation. He said he had never seen the horizon move across the windscreen so rapidly. His recovery which was counter-intuitive was to throttle back all 4 engines and then advance the power on all 4.

Ramshorn, you're right but they were actually November 4's original dates. Jackson also shows 781 at May not Apr. I was at Akrotiri in Apr and had left by the time 781 went in so it must be May. Now corrected.