PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot In Command
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2012, 17:37
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
But only the qualified pilot can legal fly the aeroplane under IFR unless undergoing instruction
Where does it say so? Leaving aside the old IFR but in VMC chestnut, obviously the aircraft should only be in IMC with an instrument qualified pilot on board, but I don’t see that the instrument qualified pilot is not entitled to let the non instrument qualified pilot "steer" without him being under instruction?
The original context implied the case was Pilot A (holding a PPL) acting as PIC brings along Pilot B (specified in the example as a passenger holding a PPL-IR) with the plan that the non-rated pilot can now ask for and accept an IFR clearance.

I think it is very clear that Pilot A is flying outside the privileges of their licence once they accept an IFR clearance. However, if Pilot B becomes PIC at this point, then it is perfectly OK (in most countries) for Pilot B to allow Pilot A (now no different than a passenger) to handle the controls.

I did something very similar bringing my aircraft back from the States. I flew most of the sector and was in the left hand seat for the crossings. However, my ferry pilot (who was necessary for insurance) was the PIC and was nominated on the flight plan as such.

fs27,

Probably the only 'typical' spam cans with a requirement to be flown from the LHS are aircraft with brakes only on the LHS or flown under IFR when all (or an essential - like the annunciators on an RNAV apporach system) the instruments are on the LHS and it would be impractical/unsafe to operate from the RHS.